[Techtalk] recording music CDs

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Fri Feb 27 01:51:24 EST 2004

Hi again,

Now that I've tested quickly, here is what I found :

I found an interesting page at :
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/linuxcookbook/html/cookbook_28.html#SEC397

More :
mp3's can be converted into 2 formats : wav & cdr.

if you want to user cdrecord, you may convert mp3 files to wav using :
mpg321 --wav outputfile.wav music.mp3
or mp3 to cdr using :
mpg321 --cdr outputfile.cdr music.mp3

what difference ?
I found out gcombust correctly writes audio CDs from wav files I
provide, and read that 'cdrecord' knows how to write cdr files.

Several tutorials base on the fact that you have cdr files (single audio
tracks for audio CDs) and most command lines use cdrecord --audio for
writing these cdr audio tracks.

I guess cdr files are just what you need.

I never write audio CDs as I mostly rip my CDs to ogg vorbis and then
copy them on an portable mp3/ogg player external Hard disk. So I
apologize in advance if I am wrong somewhere in what I worte ;)

<PROPAGANDA>
This piece of hardware (iRiver's iHP-120) is seen as an usb mass storage
device on linux and therefore has all I was searching for : ogg vorbis
and linux support, 20Gb disk space, nice design, ...
</PROPAGANDA>

bye,

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Robot Inside.