[Techtalk] Editing a PDF file

Avery Ke avery at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 24 14:00:15 EST 2004

Dan Richter wrote:
>Don't give up yet!
>
>As Isabelle notes, you can "print" the PDF file to a PS file. (Most
>Linux programs that can print allow you to "print to a file," which
>means saving in a file the PostScript instructions that would normally
>be sent to the printer.)

Last year I did something similar with a grade school
application.  After I downloaded the pdf file, I converted it to
html format with 'pdftohtml'. I ediited the html
file, inserting my information, and then converted the html file
to postscript format using 'html2ps'. Finally I converted to pdf
format with 'ps2pdf' (part of 'gs' package on debian) and sent
the revised file. A bit convoluted, but easier than hand-writing
the darn thing. <grin>

I don't know what the packages are called outside Debian, but
here are urls from the README files.

pdf2html:   http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml
html2ps:    http://www.tdb.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html
ps2pdf:     http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript