2.6 on Gentoo (was: Re: [Techtalk] 2.6 kernel on Fedora Core 1)

Tracey Clark grrliegeek at elenari.net
Fri Feb 20 11:33:36 EST 2004

Just thought I'd send a note to the list let you know (and Beth, who was
helpful offlist) what happened with Gentoo. I decided "there are times
where you have to say, !*( it, rebuild the server". I have since learned
from the Gentoo forums that my growing suspicion is correct - genkernel
is b0rked. After everything has finished compiling (24 hours and
counting), I'll try rebuilding the kernel from *my* script and not
genkernel.

Personal opinion: Perhaps the addition of former Debian developers has
not been all for the best....
Repeat the QA mantra with me:
Plan your changes, script your changes, test your changes, test again
with a few users, fix your bugs, test again...

Only after this is any change worthy of being implemented. gnar. The
moral of the story for Gentoo users is: avoid genkernel until they get
the mess sorted out.

--
Tracey
Linux Counter #264789

"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
unintentional side effect." - Linus Torvalds, New York Times, 28 Sept 03