[Techtalk] PHP not finding a function

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Thu Feb 19 13:05:48 EST 2004

I've just moved my web site over to a new (virtual) server, and I'm
dealing with various things that are now broken.  One of them is a
PHP script that calls mcrypt_module_open() along with some other
mcrypt functions.  When this PHP script runs, it produces the
following message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mcrypt_module_open()

This is a Debian system with the php4-4.3.3-4,
php4-cgi-4.1.2.6woody3, php4-mcrypt-4.1.1-3, mcrypt-2.5.13-1,
libmcrypt4-2.5.0-1woody1, and libmcrypt-dev-2.5.0-1woody1 packages
installed.

The author of the PHP script says "PHP needs to be compiled with the
--with-mcrypt parameter, and connected with the mcrypt libraries."
I downloaded the php-4.3.4 source, configured it --with-mcrypt,
compiled it, and installed it, but still that PHP script complains
that mcrypt_module_open() is undefined.  What do I need to do to get
the system to find mcrypt_module_open()?

--
Katie Bechtold         http://katie-and-rob.org/

[It is] best to confuse only one issue at a time.
		-- K&R