[Techtalk] chkconfig

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Feb 16 23:54:21 EST 2004

WeeBit writes:
> Ok so how do I run chkconfig? And where, and how?

I think chkconfig is a redhat-ism (and a nice one -- it's a useful
program).  On Debian, there's something called update-rc.d (yes, the
program itself has a .d in the name) to enable/disable services
like chkconfig does.  I can never remember the syntax, so I added
some notes for the common cases to my "debian cheat sheet" page,
http://www.shallowsky.com/linux/debnotes.html (scroll down to
"Boot Time Services" near the bottom).  I also have a script there,
lsconfig, to list active services, sort of like chkconfig --list,
since debian didn't seem to have any easy way to do that.

Maybe users of other distros (you mentioned Mandrake) can tell us
what the equivalent is there ...

	...Akkana