[Techtalk] Losing my hair, over sound

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Thu Feb 12 22:26:58 EST 2004

Hi All,

	Sound, more than a system beep, has never been heard form this box.
Mandrake 8.0 was the first OS after I put it together, The sis on-board
sound never worked, so I added a Audigy S-blaster. I now have 9.2
mandrake and am greeted with,

	"device /dev/dsp/ can't be opened (no such file or directory)
	"The sound server will continue, using the null inutput device.

whenever I start the box.

	Below is the info I have gathered during January, it is in a somewhat
random order.  I hope this is enough info to tell someone where to find
the difficulty.

			Andrew
		-------------
	This was in the log, I haven't restarted since the 25th
	emu10k1: Audigy rev 3 model 0x0058 found, IO at 0xd800-0xd81f, IRQ 12
Jan 25 14:21:50 MTux kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id:
0x8384:0x7609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23) Jan 25 14:21:50 MTux sound: Loading
sound module (audigy) succeeded

	---------------
 	This file Found in /etc/modules.devfs
# Soundcard
#alias     /dev/sound		sound-slot-0
#alias     /dev/audio		/dev/sound
#alias     /dev/mixer		/dev/sound
#alias     /dev/dsp		/dev/sound
#alias     /dev/dspW		/dev/sound
#alias     /dev/midi		/dev/sound
		----------------------------
[root at MTux root]#
 draksound
Doing alsactl to store mixer settings...                        [  OK  ]
Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.8):                [  OK  ]
rmmod: module snd-emu10k1 is not loaded
[root at MTux root]# service sound restart
Saving mixer settings                                           [  OK  ]
[root at MTux root]# aumix
[root at MTux root]# alsamixer
		-------------------------
		...root--------
lspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIO
audigy          : Creative Labs|EMU10K2 Audigy Audio Processor
[MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1102 device:0004 subv:1102 subd:0058)
...root-------------- oot]# grep sound-slot /etc/modules.conf
alias sound-slot-0 audigy
		----------------
			root]# /sbin/lsmod
root]# /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P

audigy                 71276   1
ac97_codec             15828   0  [audigy]
sound                  71528   0  [audigy]
soundcore               6340   0  [audigy sound]

af_packet              14856   2  (autoclean)
sr_mod                 17016   0  (autoclean)
		----------------

		[root at MTux2 root]#
[root at MTux2 root]#
[root at MTux2 root]# /sbin/checkconfig --list sound
-bash: /sbin/checkconfig: No such file or directory
		----------------
		[root at MTux2 root]#
[root at MTux2 root]# aumix -q
vol 70, 70
pcm 52, 52
speaker 100, 100
line 60, 60, P
mic 55, 55, R
cd 40, 40, P
igain 55, 55, P
ogain 90, 90
line1 35, 35, P
dig1 90, 90
phin 70, 70, P
phout 90, 90
video 60, 60, P
		----------------
			[root at MTux2 root]#
[root at MTux2 root]# /sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp
		--------------
                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/dsp             branden    2819 f....  artsd
[root at MTux2 root]#

/sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp
			USER     PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/dsp             bxxxxxxn    2819 f....  artsd

         --
	Andrew

This e-mail brought to you by the Linux Operating System,
and the Sylpheed mail program.

Absolutely Micro$oft Virus Free!

Sylpheed v 0.9.8, Mandrake 9.2.