[Techtalk] Pam.d settings? Need to change permissions for kppp for one user

housekm at fastmail.fm housekm at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 11 15:05:30 EST 2004

Hi,

I've got one user that just wants to be able to run linux in X mode (what
a waste, eh?) and shouldn't need any high-powered permissions.  The
problem is that kppd always asks for the root password - something I'd
prefer to keep to myself.  It looks like the pam.d library entry, kppp,
should be modified for this, but changing all entries to optional hasn't
worked, nor sufficient, or any other setting that looked probable.
Removing the entry caused kppd to fail when called from kde.

I think its a pam.d or at least not an suid or lock problem because I've
gotten wvdial to work for all users on my system.  The false error
message "device or resource busy" was really a lock, then permissions
problem, easily solved with groups.  Another response to a different
techtalker steered me to sudo, and the solution to the last obstacle,
pppd setuid permissions.  All users can now dialup and start lynx, but
the permissions problem persists in kppp.

Also, since this group has been so helpful - is there a way to change
settings for this one user so that he can just poweroff from .kde?  He's
an unconvertable Windoze users who just wants to play the cool Unix games
and maybe do a little web surfing.

Thanks!

Kathleen

                          or over the web