[Techtalk] Knoppix in Maltese and Arabic...?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Feb 9 14:41:02 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:51:27AM +0100 or thereabouts, Magni Onsoien wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a Maltese and/or Arabic version of Knoppix
> or if someone is working on that?
>
> Or are there Maltese translations of the right version of KDE and other
> software in Knoppix, so I can make my own Knoppix CD in Maltese more or
> less easily? I don't know any Maltese, so I don't know what has to be
> done to make it work or whether the translations are good, so if anyone
> has done the work already it would be nice :-)
>
> (I want this for a friend of mine in Malta. He is teacher in a local
> Muslim school, so I thought it would be cool if he could try Knoppix in
> both Maltese, English and Arabic.)

I may be quite wrong, but I have the idea that Knoppix is rather
hard to tweak these days, and that "just adding a translation" is
more complicated than you'd think.

Certainly a translation group I know were leaning more towards
Mandrake's LiveCD project after looking at Knoppix.

In the meantime, have you or your friend come across the Arabeyes
project? It's at http://www.arabeyes.org/ and is very cool:
a mail to gnome-i18n linked to some very new screenshots of the
latest Gnome in Arabic.

On their main page they mention a Arabix run-from-CD demonstration.
It's a little out of date now (November last year) but that might
be a start for at least the Arabic stuff.

There is a Maltese translation team for KDE: their page is at
http://i18n.kde.org/teams/index.php?a=i&t=mt

Telsa