[Techtalk] writing to ntfs?

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Fri Feb 6 14:21:29 EST 2004

On Friday 06 February 2004 13:03, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> On the other hand, if you do know that the Captive NTFS write support
> is substantially buggier than they claim, then please confirm and
> give a few details.

If Captive is what I think it is (a friend's quite interested in this
stuff), their main problem is that they have to wrap around the "real"
drivers, and as a result get all of the overhead of emulating a foreign
kernel, as well as that of userspace filesystem support (the NT
emulation is, quite rightly, kept out of kernelspace). This means that
write rates are measured in kb/sec. Not a problem for a one-off such as
this, and indeed, I'd recommend it for this purpose, but it'll take a
while.

Also, if you just want to read your files back off your linux partition,
you might want to look at some of the reader software for windows....

Meredydd