[Techtalk] Trouble with DVD (Error messages)

Robyn rmanning at sirion.net.au
Fri Dec 31 01:07:49 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 15:29 +1100, Mary wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004, Mary wrote:
> > Log messages in the syslog are totally uninteresting: all we see is the
> > error message when the read call times out. (I will try and get the
> > exact text of the message tonight and post an update.)
>
> Exact error messages:
>
> Attempting to mount it gives (after the long wait):
>     mount: No medium found
> and dmesg logs:
>     cdrom: open failed.
>
> This is the Ubuntu Warty Warthog (4.10) kernel: 2.6.8.1.

With Fedora there are lots of defaults about auto mounting cd's & dvd's
etc. You could try turning these off for starters. There is also a
service that runs from startup called 'autofs' which is to do with auto
mounting. Some distros have dvd players that starts after mounting.

If you've compiled your own kernel do you have support for UDF
filesystems? You also may need to specify UDF in fstab if you aren't
using 'auto' filesystem type. May be better specifying ISO9660,UDF
anyway.

Robyn