[Techtalk] 32 bit RedHat on EM64T architecture?

Nicole - colby.digital at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 05:20:54 EST 2004

Another note, the proper architecture for the Xeon 64-bit is amd64 or
x86-64 (depending on who you talk to). The kernel should have the
option for either the AMD Opteron (et al) chips or the Intel Xeon
EM64Ts -- I haven't built my own 64-bit kernel yet, but I did briefly
glance at the options (when I was testing, I used the debian stock
EM64T supporting kernel).

I did have trouble with the 64-bit kernel and USB -- I had to disable
it in the BIOS to get the sucker to boot. Didn't play much with the
64-bit OS, though, I just benchmarked it (WOW) and moved back to
32-bit for production.

-nicole