[Techtalk] CD-ROM weirdness

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Wed Dec 15 22:41:11 EST 2004

Hi all,

All of a sudden, my CD drive is refusing. I've done a bit of googling,
and I can find other people with similar problems, but no solution (if
in fact the drive isn't u/s). I haven't changed kernel version or
installed anything or changed any settings...

Output of dmesg below; anyone got any ideas?

hdc: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: irq timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: irq timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
hdc: request sense failure: error=0x50LastFailedSense 0x05
hdc: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
hdc: request sense failure: error=0x50LastFailedSense 0x05
hdc: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
Error }
hdc: request sense failure: error=0x50LastFailedSense 0x05
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x50
--
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia
Wed Dec 15 22:40:40 EST 2004