[Techtalk] Nforce A7N8X motherboard forgets clock multiplier on reboot

Wendy Mores wendy.mores at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 18:43:06 EST 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:03:38 +1100, Mary <mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 04, 2004, Mary wrote:
> > However, the real problem is that when this hang occurs, the BIOS
> > forgets the clock multiplier: after the memory check part of startup
> > (which completes without error although it reduces the memory speed to
> > 100 MHz) it immediately gives an error message about not knowing the CPU
> > speed. Entering the BIOS and exiting it without any changes fixes the
> > problem as does setting the multiplier to 11x by hand.
>
> Updates:
>
> 1. The BIOS does remember other settings when this happens.
> 2. Subsequent failures tend to follow hot on the heels (as it were) of
> the first failure, which supports a overheating hypothesis

One unconventional way to test for overheating would be to open the
box up and get a desk fan and aim it into the box medium to high
speed.  I've been able to keep servers with no fans at all going while
I went to buy parts.   Clean out the dust though before you do that
and while you're at it make sure the fans aren't clogged with dust
bunnies.  That could slow them down enough to cause problems.

It would be a bit odd to have overheating with 3 fans in the box, so I
would be tempted to change the battery too.

Wendy

--
Hakuna Matata...

Wendy Mores