[Techtalk] backup - tar

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue Aug 31 00:17:57 EST 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 12:04:20PM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Maria McKinley thought:

> Is there another way to backup on linux?  On the mac system we use
> retrospect, which works so nicely.  Granted, we pay a lot of money for
> it to work so nicely, but at this point I'm willing to spend money to
> get something to work consistently on linux.  Has anyone else had

Mondoarchive http://www.mondorescue.org is a GPL and very capable backup /
disaster recovery system.  It produces bootable backups on all sorts of
media, tapes included.  It's free but the author, Hugo Rabson, sells
support at very reasonable rates, $10 per machine AFAIR.  I use it myself
on my work desktop, a devel server and on my home systems.  Work use it
also for a number of other machines.  And it's got some of my code in!...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)