[Techtalk] O BIND gurus: authoritative v caching and root zones and stuff

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Mon Aug 23 07:48:38 EST 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:37:47AM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> OK I'm back with another installment of 'DNS Barbie says BIND is hard!'

Is there any particular reason you *have* to use BIND?
Other nameservers may be simpler to configure.  No, I'm not saying you
have to use djbdns (I know there are many hard feelings in the community
about this person having a "shared source licence" and not an open
source or Free Software licence) but that's not the only alternative.
I just set up a caching dns server with maradns yesterday (though I had
to battle a bit with wvdial to stop it overwriting resolv.conf...)