[Techtalk] Forwarding Full Email Headers (was Re: question reference mail programs)

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Sat Aug 21 15:02:34 EST 2004

At 8/21/04 07:52 AM , Robert Wichert wrote:

>Have the person send you the Spam post, _as an attachment_.  Just
>forwarding it doesn't seem to preserve the headers but forwarding _as an
>attachment_ seems to accomplish this.

Actually, that seems to be MUA-dependent. Outlook will generally not
include headers unless you make the mail an attachment (i.e., it behaves
like you're describing). But my MUA, Eudora 4.2, will include all headers
in a forward *if* you're already viewing them. (Eudora normally leaves
the "Blah Blah Blah" button, it displays all headers. If you then hit
"Forward", the forwarded mail will include them all, too.)

Other mailers may have a variety of other behaviors. I just wanted to
mention that, if the original poster's correspondent isn't using Outlook,
then some other method may be needed to get full headers out of him/her.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Three o'clock in the morning/It's quiet and there's no-one around,
  Just the bang and the clatter/As an angel runs to ground,
  Just the bang and the clatter/As an angel hits the ground."
                                                 --U2,
                                                  "Stay (Faraway, So
                                                   Close)"