[Techtalk] mutt config issue: copying instead of moving messages

Riccarda Cassini riccarda.cassini at gmx.de
Tue Aug 17 01:27:27 EST 2004

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 10:26:06PM +0530, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> On 15/08/04 09:38 -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> > Riccarda Cassini writes:
> > > yes, that did the trick <*blush*> - well, almost.  The only remaining
> > > peeve is that it now no longer untags the messages automatically, which
> > > I found rather convenient...  Is there a way to untag them all at once,
> > > other than doing something like "^T." (which seems to take quite a
> > > while to compute on larger mailboxes)?
> >
> > Try ;t to untag all the tagged messages -- that should be fairly fast.
>
> Didn't work here.

works here, but about equally slow as the 'untagging by pattern'
approach.  So, I did quite a lot of rtfm'ing and tried various things,
but still haven't found a convenient solution.  Finally, I started to
poke around in the source code... and even found out what to patch.
All on my own (!) -  which I must say I'm just a teeny-weeny little bit
proud of :-)

So now, when I do ";C+mbox" it automatically untags the messages, as
desired.  The only problem with this solution is that I'll have to
patch mutt again every time I upgrade to a new version -- but well...

Just in case anyone should perceive the same need as I did, I'd of
course be happy to share further instructions - though, if you want a
proper patch (you know, that thing that people send in when they say
they're "submitting a patch"), you'll have to tell me how to create
it... my local guru just went on vacation ;-)

BTW, thanks to those of you who pointed me to stuff like macros and
hooks.  Mutt is even fancier than I thought at first!  Looks like
there's enough to play around with for the upcoming lonely nights...

Thanks again to everyone who replied, on- and off-list.

Riccarda