[Techtalk] SSHD Authenticates on Only One Interface

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Mon Aug 9 02:37:47 EST 2004

On 08/08/04 13:58 -0700, Kai MacTane wrote:
> I've got a really odd problem going on with sshd on one of my machines, and
> it's driving me nuts. This machine is a gateway between my internal network
> and the net-at-large, so it has two interfaces - public (eth1) is
> 66.92.49.123, and the private net (eth0) is on 192.168.1.0/24, which should
> be no great shock.
>
> When I connect on the public interface, I can log in just fine. When I
> connect from the private net, however, I am prompted for a password (which
> shows that sshd *is* listening to that interface), but then I'm always told
> that the password was wrong. Even when I've double-checked it very
> carefully. (Yes, the Caps Lock key is off. <g>)

Make sure you have no wierd firewall rules forwarding your packets
elsewhere to another host.

Run sshd in debug mode (non daemonised).
#/etc/init.d/sshd stop
#sshd -d -d -d
				$ssh -v -v -v 192.168.1.1
See the logs on both sides, and see /var/log/messages and
/var/log/secure for any hints.

Once done
#/etc/init.d/sshd start

Devdas Bhagat