[Techtalk] Debian help - window manager selection

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Aug 6 15:44:01 EST 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 04:32:23PM +0200 or thereabouts, Rudy L. Zijlstra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had debian using KDE (my strong preference) and did an upgrade.
> Although KDE is still installed, its now using gnome. Grrrrrrrrrr.......
> Had a look around and even tried to configure it to so some things in a
> sensible way, such as showing the directory tree in the left pane of the
> filemanager. Was totally unsucessfull.
>
> Just as unsuccesfull as finding how to get it to use KDE again. Can
> somebody tell me the magical key-clicks to get my friendly KDE back?

Does Debian package anything like "switchdesk", which is for
changing a user's default desktop permanently (or until they
run switchdesk again) ?

If so, that sounds the simplest. If not, how to change it back
will probably depend on whether you use a display manager (and
which one you use) or you use "startx".

Telsa