[Techtalk] Multicast IP

Anita Verlorenes anita.verlorenes at paradise.net.nz
Tue Aug 3 09:54:05 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm part of a team developing an industrial electronics product.  Our product
is made of several nodes, connected together via ethernet, which may or may
not be the customer's corporate ethernet.

We need a method, for the nodes to find each other automatically, without
having to be explicitly told the addresses of the other nodes in the network.

We were looking at using SSDP (i.e. the node discovery part of UPNP), but I'm
starting to get a little uneasy with this.

SSDP works by using UDP multicasts over the IP multicast address
239.255.255.250:1900

Supposedly, according to the SSDP blurb, network administrators setup their
routers to limit the scope of 239.255.255.250 to some useful scope,  e.g.
perhaps to the physical premises.

The question is this:   In the real world, does anyone actually use these
scoped multicast addresses? and do real routers even support them?

Thanks very much,
Anita.