[Techtalk] Trouble with upgrading RAM

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 30 01:24:49 EST 2004

On 29/04/04 17:23 +0200, Riccarda Cassini wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I seem to be having a hardware problem - at least I think so...
> I recently upgraded my somewhat older box (Athlon 800MHz generation)
> to 512MB RAM.  Originally, there was one 256MB module in the machine,
Is the new RAM of the same frequency? That can be a major crash issue.
If they are the same, take your working memory stick out and test.

> [*] BTW, any recommendations on which filesystem to use? Any good/bad
> experiences with some of them, WRT speed, stability, error recovery
> facilities, and whatever else there might be relevant.  I've heard
> opinions that XFS is performing rather well in most aspects, so I'm
> considering to try this one, if I should finally pluck up the courage
> to kick out my old ext2.
reiser is good for lots of small files. Older versions of reiser lost
data under load though.
XFS is nice for large media/database files.
ext3 is good enoguh for most general tasks, and you don't need to mkfs
to go from ext2 to ext3.
For most people, the filesystem is not an issue for performance.

Devdas Bhagat