[Techtalk] Domain name registrars

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Apr 22 09:09:45 EST 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004, Trent Di Renna wrote:
> Does anyone know a reputable domain name registrar?  I'm setting up a
> web page for a friend, and she wants her own domain name eventually,
> but I'm not sure which of the long list of registrar are actually
> trustworthy.  Thanks.

I use dotster.com and I've had no bad experiences with them, they also
seem generally recommended. However, I've never had any experience
(positive OR negative) with their tech support.

I've also heard OK things about gandi.net .

I used to use register.com , and never had problems with them (except
that their registration page was very unhelpful when my stroed CC
details were expired -- it wouldn't tell me what the problem was).
register.com were very expensive, probably because they include DNS
hosting by default. You could almost certainly get DNS hosting cheaper
elsewhere (eg zoneedit.com ) even if you can't control it yourself.

-Mary