[Techtalk] filtering postmaster copy

Alain Tesio alain at onesite.org
Wed Apr 14 08:24:23 EST 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:05:29 -0400
Emma Jane Hogbin <emmajane at xtrinsic.com> wrote:

> > > :0B:
> > > * .*@xtrinsic.com.*: unknown user:
> > > /dev/null
>
> I've included the "full" message (with headers) up to the point that I want to filter.
> I wasn't sure if this was something that could be set by postfix or should be filtered
> by procmail...

You have body checks in postfix too, but procmail is usually preferred for this,
the procmail rules can be specific to a user whereas postfix filters are system wide.

You can add a header check to this rule on the To: or Subject: header so it doesn't
check the body which can be large for your other mails.

To test a rule you can do a file test.rc with this :

VERBOSE=ON
... your rule here ...
:0
/dev/null

Then procmail -m test.rc < message, and see if it finds a match with "Match"

On working rules, you can still set VERBOSE=ON and LOGFILE to analyze
the logs when something doesn't work as expected.

No idea why your rule didn't work however, it looks fine.

Alain