[Techtalk] Samba Printing Problem

MMP - Barb Fox mmp_fox at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 13 22:29:39 EST 2004

I have a laser printer on a Red Hat 9 Box.  Works fine. I installed samba
and am having problems printing to it from my Win2K box.

The first problem had me stuck for hours, but for someone else's benefit:
I could do a smbclient command to the printer share, then print a job.  BUT
if I tried to print it from the Win2K box, it would transfer the job to
linux box, cups would report that it was a "completed job" (the printer
even flashed for a moment), but nothing ever printed.  After finally
putting cups in debug mode, I finally discovered a "Media tray empty!"
error that appears to be a cups bug.  I upgraded to Fedora Core 1 and that
problem went away.

Now, I can print to the printer from Win2K right after setting it up, but
as soon as that user logs out, the connection is lost.  If I try to print
to it I get an error like: "There was an error found when printing the
document .... Retry or cancel?"

I either need to re-install the printer, or else do some other command to
re-establish the connection.  I've found two ways to do that:
 From Win2k
1) run a CMD prompt and then type:   NET USE \\LINUXHOST\laser   /user:root
or
2) Network Neighborhood, select the LinuxHost, then the Printer/Fax, and
it'll prompt for a username and password.  If I put in faulty info, it'll
default to my "pcguest" account for samba usage and work fine, so I don't
think it's "root" related.

What gives?  How can I get Win2k to do this automatically?

In addition, if I try to save a setting (like landscape/portrait, etc.), I
get this error: "Printer settings could not be saved.  Operation could not
be completed."

Barb Fox
mmp_fox at bellsouth.net