[Techtalk] Hostname/printer problem

housekm at fastmail.fm housekm at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 11 11:57:16 EST 2004

Thank you.  That appears to have been part of the problem - I changed the
hosts file to this:

127.0.0.1               localhost
0.0.0.0                 Bertie Bertie.localdomain localhost

and still got the 515 port error message.

After much googling and browsing, I also changed the services file to
listen on port 516 instead of 515, but still got the same error message.

This is what finally did it:

chkconfig cups-lpd off
hostname Bertie.localdomain
/sbin/service lpd stop
/sbin/service lpd start

lpr and lp both worked after that, and appear to be still working after
reboot.  Don't know if changing the port did anything, but it didn't look
like anything was using 516 and I'm in the if it works, don't touch it!
mode.

Thanks for your suggestion, it was indeed part of the solution.

Kathleen