[Techtalk] Hard disk FUBAR?

Ricky Buchanan rb at tertius.net.au
Sun Apr 11 06:39:50 EST 2004

I'm getting this error:

hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=762623, sector=762623end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 762623
hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=762623, sector=762623end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 762623
 E: Read error - read (5 Input/output error)

It seems to only happen when I try to access certain files, but it has me
worried.  I've done a full FSCK with no errors showing up.

Is this a hardware prob, as it seems?  Or just a weirdly corrupted file?

Lucky that "buy a new computer" is next on the cards!!!

Regards,
Ricky
--
: Usual state:  (e) None of the above.