[Techtalk] Good firewall configuration tool for debian

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Apr 9 10:55:02 EST 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 07:35:29PM +0530, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> On 08/04/04 23:18 +1000, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a good iptables firewall configuration tool for debian
> > woody?
> Firestarter is a good GUI application, even though the rules it
> generates are, to say the least, hairy.

Hairy?
I must admit, I have just used firestarter as a set-and-forget firewall
because I didn't want to have to do things by hand, but I realized I
should have a firewall when I noticed odd things in my Apache access log which
looked as if someone was trying to exploit some MS-Windows hole (it was
trying to find files like ../../win32.exe and so on).

I'm just using dialup so it was really more of a precaution than
anything else.

If/When I move to ADSL... I notice in the listings of ADSL modems, one
could get a plain modem, or one could get a router which has all sorts
of built in stuff including NAT and a firewall.  Is it better to just
set up all that stuff on one's own box, or to use a router?  All I know
about NAT is that some people think it's evil...