[Techtalk] compiling an external kernel module

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Apr 8 11:00:56 EST 2004

Carla Schroder writes:
> So what it really comes down is depending on the module author to provide a
> workable makefile, then the rest is routine build & install. If it's so far
> out it doesn't even have that, I suppose Plan B is "too bad, so sad!"

If whoever is providing the driver source doesn't have a Makefile
for it (or any other instructions on building it), then how did they
compile it themselves?  How could they have tested it?

If it's standalone source, not a patch, yet it doesn't have a
Makefile, I'd be very suspicious of whether this driver has actually
been tested on linux.  Maybe it's just some code they yanked out of
the Windows driver and said "Gee, maybe it'll work."  Could be
anything, but I wouldn't be too optimistic that it's an actual
working linux driver.

	...Akkana