[Techtalk] Logging server load

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Mon Apr 5 00:31:46 EST 2004

I have recently got myself a virtual box (user-mode-linux) at Linode.com.

It comes with root access, and a very nice front end that means it is almost
as good as having physical access to the server.  (ie, I can reboot my
virtual box into a rescue distribution and fix anything I've broken.)  It
also comes with amazing bandwidth.  I've just donwloaded the java sdk from
sun at 5.67MB/sec.  (This is bytes, not bits.)  And it is only US$20 per
month....

Anyway, enough of that.  As you can tell I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Most of the time the response of the server is great.  However, occasionally
the load goes through the roof.  Well, I exagerate a little - but it gets up
to 3 or 4.  This is not cpu load (which is still below 10% at the time), just
the load average.

My guess is that it is something like the locate database update.  My
experience with user-mode-linux so far is that disk access has quite a high
overhead.  But I want to generate some logs so I can check this.

Can anyone suggest a better way of logging the load average so I can try and
work out any pattens, other than:

$ while ((1)); do uptime >> uptime.log ; sleep 60; done

Is there a 'standard' way of doing this?

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox