[Techtalk] "virtual" DNS resolution?

Cari dev at javachick.com
Thu Apr 1 10:51:05 EST 2004

Hi LinuxChix,

Right now, DNS is pointing to my home router/firewall (my one IP
address).  From there, my NAT router routes certain ports to my linux
box.  What I would like to do is make it so that I have "virtual"
hostnames...  So that if I point to www.domain.com or mail.domain.com
then it will go to the one linux box.

My guess is that I have to configure DNS to run on my box, open
up/redirect the port(s) on my router, and then set it up so that
www.domain.com points to the same IP as a few others.  Is that right?
Are there any special considerations because the internal machine is
using an internal IP?  I understand only the basic concepts of DNS,
mostly from the user's perspective, so I'm a little bit perplexed.   Can
anyone help me out here?  Know any good links or have wisdom you can
spare?

I'm doing this mostly to learn, and it's fun every time I triumph over
the machine.  I doubt I will ever run out of things to learn with this
new linux hobby!   Thanks...

Thanks!
-- Cari