[Techtalk] Asking for new PC recommended specs

Karen Locke karenl at scrserv.com
Tue Sep 30 23:16:05 EST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 21:59, David Merrill wrote:
> I've dropped the Intel and decided to go with:
>
> MOBO: ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE 875P 800MHz FSB 8xAGP Hyper-Threading SATA

Just a thought, which may or may not be relevant for you:  I put a system
together for myself last year after my old hard drive bit the dust and my 300
MHz PII was really getting long in the tooth.  I chose AMD over Intel, since
it seemed like a better deal, and got a 1.6 GHz processor -- one of the
slower Athlon versions available at the time.  Put it together, fired it up,
and was shocked by how _loud_ the fan is.

I shopped around for a quieter fan,  but couldn't find one.  I was repeatedly
told that AMDs run hot, they need bigger fans, and I'd have to live with it.
And so I have... but reluctantly.  If I were building another system today,
I'd think about noise as an issue.  (But otherwise, I'm really happy with my
system.)

Karen

--
Karen Locke