[Techtalk] [OT] Contract Programmer Fees question

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Tue Sep 30 13:44:10 EST 2003

Hi all,

We're considering hiring a contract programmer for a significant in-house
project.  It will be a long lived application and will require to be
modular and extensible.  It'll be primarily written in C.  We'll either look
to hire a "systems analyst" type to design and code the app or we'll design
the app ourselves and hire a coder.  We would expect this project to take 6
to 12 months.

In either case, we'll want to hire a seasoned professional.  If I have my
way, the code will be licensed (and published) under the GPL.

What sort of fees should we expect to pay to:

a.  A professional coder to code our design?
b.  A professional systoms analyst to design and code?
c.  A company to code our design?
d.  A company to design and code?

Will a release under GPL make it more attractive to the contractor?
Would people find such a contract attractive enough to come to Ireland for
the duration?

In all cases, we will retain the source code and its copyright.  If we
license under GPL, the contractor gets a copy under GPL.

Thoughts?

thanks,

Conor
--
Conor Daly
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill, Dublin 9, Ireland

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.