[Techtalk] Asking for new PC recommended specs

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Tue Sep 30 03:21:24 EST 2003

Hey everyone!

I haven't been around for quite awhile. Lots going on in my personal life,
including a new job which has me working crazy hours and leaves no time for
Free Software work, dagnamit.

I am spec'ing out a new PC and am nowhere near up to date on the latest
hardware (although I tried to bone up today) so before I make a poor decision
I want to run some specs past you all. I'd appreciate it very much if any of
you could prevent me from making a poor decision.

First I'll try to explain what I need to get from the system so you all have
some information to go by. I'm the typical "power user" and this will be my
personal workstation. This PC has to last me for some 3-4 years. I want as
much speed as possible within my budget, which I've set at $1800. I want to
select components on the "sweet spot" on the price/performance curve, if you
know what I mean. :-)

I'm running Gentoo these days, so one objective is fast compiles. But it
should be well-rounded rather than optimized for any particular function.
After 3-4 years as my workstation, it will probably be repurposed as some
kind of server, so I want it to be flexible. And I don't do much gaming, so
3D speed is not terribly important.

That gives you a general idea of what I will need from the system. To narrow
things down a bit and give you a base of reference. Here are the specs of the
system I'm currently considering:

POWER:  480 watt power supply (extra quiet model, woo hoo!)
MOBO:   Intel D875PBZLK 875P 800MHz FSB 8xAGP Hyper-Threading SATA Gb LAN
CPU:    2.80GHz P4, 800MHz FSB, 512K cache, Hyper Threading
MEMORY: 2 x Corsair 512MB PC-3200 DDR400 C2 XMS (MOBO has Dual-DDR400)
DISKS:  2 x Seagate Barracuda 120GB 7200RPM 8MB cache SATA (ATA150)
VIDEO:  Sapphire Radeon 9600 128MB DDR VGA/DVI/S-Video, 8X AGP
CD/DVD: Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM (48x CD-ROM)
DVDRW:  Sony Model DW-U10A-10 DVD-R/RW, CD-R/RW
FLOPPY: Mitsumi 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
AUDIO:  Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (no ALSA support yet, alas!)

I'll be running the two SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping) for the performance
gain. I'm willing to accept the higher risk on this machine, since it will be
a workstation and not a server. When it is repurposed as a server, which will
be when I buy a new workstation, I might add an addional SATA controller and
two more drives, then go to RAID 0+1, but I don't want to spend the money
right now.

Retail Price for a machine with these specs from www.abspc.com, who my S.O.
dave reports two good experiences with: $1,812, less $50 mail-in rebate.
Which just squeaks under my budget at $1,762! Warranty is 1 year on parts and
lifetime on labor and tech support, which seems quite reasonable.

I'm pretty happy with the performance specs of each of the individual
components, so that's not really what I'm looking for advice on, unless you
know something I don't. The big hole in my understanding of current PC
hardware configuration is, simply put, where is the bottleneck? I don't want
to waste money on the wrong part of the system yet leave a bottleneck in some
other area. I'd rather have a well matched system, so I get my money's worth
from each component.

So, does this look like a smart way to spend $1,800 on a workstation? TIA for
any help and advice!

Regards,

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

O Seas of Caladan,
O people of Duke Leto --
Citadel of Leto Fallen
Fallen forever...
	-- from "Songs of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan