[Techtalk] Program to wrap lines

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Tue Sep 30 09:42:05 EST 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:59:14PM +0200, Dan Richter wrote:

> Surely there must be a Linux program that inserts line breaks to limit
> lines to, say, 80 characters. Does anyone know what the magic word is?

I sent a reply to this from home last night but it seems to have gone
astray ...

apropos (man -k) is a good way to find commands when all you have is a
keyword or two (the grep is because I get 152 matches for "wrap"):

    [johnc at dropbear ~]$ apropos wrap|grep line
    Text::Wrap           (3pm)  - line wrapping to form simple paragraphs
    fold                 (1)  - wrap each input line to fit in specified width

fold looks like what you want:

    [johnc at dropbear ~]$ man fold
    NAME
           fold - wrap each input line to fit in specified width

    SYNOPSIS
           fold [OPTION]... [FILE]...

    DESCRIPTION
           Wrap input lines in each FILE (standard input by default),
           writing to standard output.

Cheers,

John
whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net