[Techtalk] Re: Compaq Armada M700 (iriX)

Carolyn Bucholtz cabucholtz at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 27 07:22:59 EST 2003

> just wondering if there are any known issues with installing Linux
> (specifically mandrake 9.1) on a Compaq Armada M700 laptop?

Hello,

This is my first posting here, beening lurking for quite a while. I've had
mandrake (7.2, 8.1, and now 9.1) on my Compaq Armada M700 laptop for about 3
years, dual-boot with windows 98. My major problem has been getting the wheel
mouse (a plugged in mouse) to work, got it going ok for 8.1 and 8.2 and now
for 9.1 I just gave up, none of the options seemed to work, the cursor would
freeze and I'd have to reboot - I just use the mouse as a 2 button mouse. I
had 9.1 nicely installed for several months and after applying several
upgrades ftp ground to a halt. I decided to re-install 9.1 and apply the
upgrades one by one to find the cuprit. The installation that had worked fine
the first time round wouldn't complete the second time !  I tried half dozen
times but after the first disc installed it refused to recognise the next
disc, kept telling me to put in the next disc.  Fortunately this system was
bootable, and I've just added manually from the last two discs anything I've
found I've needed - actually led to a nice lean installation !.  I now have
only one problem that reoccurs occasionally - when the machine boots up and I
get the login screen I can't do anything because the cursor is frozen. I get
to a  text login screen by pressing Cntl-Alt-F1, log in, and then kill the
X11 process. This restarts the login screen and the cursor is fine.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Carolyn