ISDN router cost Re: [Techtalk] Home Internet access on Linux

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 26 15:54:26 EST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Brenda Bell <k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com>

> The cost of the equipment is all over the board -- cheap ebay prices, one
> or two hundred dollars for simple ISDN routers (like Linksys) and 100's or
> 1000's for more sophisticated routers (like Cisco).

We paid $36 for a Netgear ISDN router on eBay that was as new in the
box.  We were so satisfied with it we decided it would be good to have
a spare.  We found another for $39.

> The monthly access charge depends on your ISP.

I highly recommend http://www.eskimo.com  $40-$44 a month for
unlimited (but not 24/7) service.

> However, your first problem is that you have to be within 3 miles of a
> switch.  Our initial high-speed connection was ISDN... we were inside the
> limit only by a few hundred feet!!!

I don't know.  From what I understand we have a Wake Forest exchange and that's
where our switch is.  We actually live in New Hope, a solid 10 miles from Wake
Forest.

All the best,
Caity