[Techtalk] Home Internet access on Linux

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 23:23:21 EST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Dan Richter wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> How easy is it to get Internet access at home with a Linux machine? I'm
> most interested in ADSL, but using a modem might be a possibility.
>
> By the way, I'm a programmer, but I don't have any experience as a system
> administrator. I've used /etc/fstab and /etc/rc.d/* and that's about it.
> I'm not interested in an option that requires recompiling the kernel.

There are lots of things in Linux that I haven't a clue about, but I
found setting up ADSL access with a router very easy.  I run RedHat
8.0, by the way.

I haven't tried using the modem (because I don't need it).  But from
what I have read, it seems to me that ADSL is probably a lot easier to
set up.

So - nothing to worry about!

David