[Techtalk] monitoring realtime stuffs on F1 console

Liz Young liz at kandew.net
Sat Sep 20 06:50:55 EST 2003

Hi Carla,

On Friday 19 September 2003 07:14 pm, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Linuxes past I was accustomed to switching to console F1 to see
> what was happening behind whatever GUI I was running. Nice endless
> lines of chatter, error messages, all the subterranean mumblings of
> an active system. My current system does not do this- when I switch
> to F1 there's just a plain ole boring login prompt. Any notions how
> to make it come back? F7 is always bound to the first X session,
> nothing weird there.

I'm not using it, but I think you can do that with syslogd.  Here is a
comment from my Debian Testing /etc/syslog.conf:

#
# I like to have messages displayed on the console, but only on a
virtual
# console I usually leave idle.
#
#daemon,mail.*;\
#       news.=crit;news.=err;news.=notice;\
#       *.=debug;*.=info;\
#       *.=notice;*.=warn       /dev/tty8

Liz