[Techtalk] SSH Servers?

Diggy Bell diggy at dbsoftdev.com
Fri Sep 19 16:53:39 EST 2003

Hi Michelle,

I'm not running quite the configuration that you're talking about, but I've
had very good luck with the Cygwin stuff interacting with my other systems
(Linux and Solaris.)

In the backup scenario, I'm lucky because I've only got Linux boxen to be
concerned with.  I'm using SSH from a server in my office to do an automated
backup of databases on a couple of servers that are co-located elsewhere.
It's probably not much different than what you've already got setup and
running with your Linux systems.

But, in another situation, I need to be able to get to a Windows box to help
with a remote project.  Since I do pretty much everything through SSH, I set
up the Cygwin OpenSSH and sshd.  It has worked like a charm for me so far,
but the setup is just over a month old so I haven't been through too many
painful updates yet.  If you've got the Windows box fairly isolated, you can
consolidate your Cygwin updates to make life a little easier.

Hmmm...wonder if there'd be any way to update Cygwin automatically?  Seems
as though there should be some way.  I did a quick Google and didn't get
anything back.  Will have to keep looking...

William D. 'Diggy' Bell
Principal
DB Software Development
http://www.dbsoftdev.com