[Techtalk] SSH Servers?

jas at spamcop.net jas at spamcop.net
Fri Sep 19 15:24:46 EST 2003

Quoting Michelle Murrain <tech at murrain.net>:

> Hi all,
>
> This actually *is*, sorta, a linux question...
>
> I'm trying to fit a new Windows server (that doesn't have a backup tape
> drive) into my automated backup system (of all Linux boxes), which basically
> uses tar (or rsync, depending) over ssh (with authorized_keys, so it's
> noninteractive). I'm trying to find a ssh server for windows, and so
> far, the only options I can find are:
>
> 1) Spend hundreds or more on F-Secure and others
> or
> 2) Use Cygwin / OpenSSH (what fun, get to patch windows *and* ssh on the
> same box!)
>
> Are there any other options? I looked both on Freshmeat and Sourceforge
> for open source SSH servers for Windows to no avail, and I can't seem to
> find any that are priced more reasonably ($50 or less would be nice)
>
> Also, any other suggestions you might have for how to noninteractively
> backup a Windows box on a Linux network (using either hard drive space or
> tape) would be great. I suppose I could try using an SMB browser on the
> linux side, but I haven't gone down that road yet... and I'd prefer a
> secure solution.

Mounting the Windows drive using SMB seems like the simplest approach - no extra
software needed anywhere, and it's reasonably secure (doesn't send the password
in plaintext; files are transferred unencrypted, but presumably this is your own
LAN anyway?)

Alternatively, you could set up something using rsync (perhaps over SSH)?

James.