[Techtalk] More secure e-mail for road warriors?

Brenda Bell k15a-list-linuxchix at theotherbell.com
Fri Sep 19 14:12:19 EST 2003

Quoting Raven Alder <raven at oneeyedcrow.net>:

> 	IMAP + SSL.  Keeps everything on the server, encrypts over the
> local LAN.  Problems with this: not sure what clients give good support
> for this on both *nix (Linux and FreeBSD) and Windows, could not use it
> easily when traveling without installing another program on each remote
> machine.  IIRC, Courier IMAP has had security problems, unsure what
> other IMAP/SSL servers there are out there.  Unsure if it supports
> separate mail passwords & chrooting users.
>
> 	Some sort of Webmail + SSL.  Accessible from anywhere, secure
> over the local LAN.  Problems with this -- pretty much the same as
> above.

Not quite... for one, direct access to IMAP server means opening up another
port.  If you're running a web server, the port you need for Webmail is
already open.  With the webmail solution, any issues with Courier IMAP
exist inside your network -- said issues will not be exacerbated by a
webmail solution.

FWIW, I'm running qmail, Courier-IMAP and Vexira behind a NetBSD firewall
and my remote email access is via Horde running on Apache.  From the
outside, I have ports open for HTTP, SMTP and sometimes SSH -- no IMAP, no
POP3, no LDAP or anything else to attract sticky fingers.

So far, it has worked pretty well.  HTH.

--
Brenda
http://opensource.theotherbell.com