[Techtalk] Shell script to send user defined signal to a process

Stratis Aftousmis stratus at ccsi.com
Fri Sep 19 09:36:44 EST 2003

>    Hi,
>
>    I want my shell script to send a user defined signal to a process. I
> know that using pidof <processname> I can get the pid of the process
> and using kill <sig #> <pid> i can send the signal to the process
> whose id is eq to <pid>. How can I do this in a shell script.
>
>    The foll does not work -
>    #!/bin/sh
>    PD=pidof test
>    kill 41 $PD
>
>    This might be a very simple thing to do but I am beginner at shell
> scripting. Would appreciate it if someone could help me.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Ruchika
Hi, try this:

#!/bin/bash
test && kill $!  #'!' expand's the the last command run, but if i'm not
exit 1           #mistaken it has to be on the same line as the command is
                 #run, which is why i used the '&&' (and)

But if you don't understand that, there alway's "The advanced Bash Scripting
Guide"

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

I recommend that, also try the primer located in
'/usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs'(if installed):

Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO

Hope that help's.

--
www.ccsi.com/~stratus
stratus at ccsi.com

"What is complex to one, is not to another."
~In the beginning there was the command line: by Neal Stephenson