[Techtalk] closing ports in /etc/services

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Sep 17 15:41:38 EST 2003

On Wednesday 17 September 2003 2:27 pm, Stratis Aftousmis wrote:

> Hi carla,
> I don't want to all RTFM'y on you, but 'man servises' is a good resource
> for this...
> <snip>
> services is a plain ASCII file providing a mapping between friendly
> textual names for internet services, and their under-
>        lying assigned port numbers and protocol types. Every networking
> program should look into this file to get the port  num-
>        ber  (and  protocol)  for its service.  The C library routines
> getservent(3), getservbyname(3), getservbyport(3), setser-
>        vent(3), and endservent(3) support querying this file from programs.
>
> </snip>
> hope this provide's insight.
> stratis. :)

Hiya,

I went there first, it said nothing about commenting out services, so that's
why I came here. The bit about "providing a mapping between friendly textual
names for
       internet services, and their underlying assigned port  numbers  and
protocol  types.
       Every  networking program should look into this file to get the port
number (and pro-
       tocol) for its service"  seems to imply that commenting lines out is
not a good idea, if the system needs the entries for mapping names to
numbers. But Caitlyn says it works, so if my system implodes I will blame
her. :)

--
Carla Schroder