[Techtalk] Verisign wildcard DNS hijacks .net and .com for advertising purposes

Brenda Bell bb31l at theotherbell.com
Mon Sep 15 23:04:49 EST 2003

Quoting Mary <mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org>:

> Those .net domains aren't registered... but they now point at a
> Verisign
> webpage rather than not resolving. Verisign has decided to use
> unregistered domains themselves.

IMHO, Verisign is one of the scariest organizations on the Internet.  Two
years ago, Verisign sold someone a domain using my credit card number, name
and address.  Because the purchaser was stupid enough to use their own
telephone number, it was easy to prove that I did not make the purchase...
but my bank assures me they would not have approved the transaction without
a correct phone number.  Sort of makes you wonder how Verisign got that
transaction to go through doesn't it?

--
Brenda