[Techtalk] Re: error configuring openssh

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Tue Sep 16 16:15:02 EST 2003

Heya --

Quoth Katie Bechtold (Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 02:37:08PM -0400):
> I'm trying to compile openssh-3.7p1 on a slackware 7.0 machine, and
> I'm getting the following error:

	Not necessarily related to your error in particular, but if
you're compiling on Slack you're probably going to want to preface with

 LIBS=-lcrypt ./configure --with-whatever-other-options

(reference http://www.openssh.org/faq.html)

	Otherwise you may have problems with your password
authentication failing.

> # ./configure --with-md5-hash --with-md5-passwords --with-zlib=/usr/local
> [. . .]
> checking for u_int type... yes
> checking for intXX_t types... yes
> checking for int64_t type... no
> checking for u_intXX_t types... yes
> checking for u_int64_t types... yes
> checking for uintXX_t types in stdint.h... yes
> checking for u_char... yes
> checking for socklen_t... no
> checking for socklen_t equivalent... configure: error: Cannot find a type to use in place of socklen_t
>
> Can anyone help me out here?

	Haven't seen it before myself, but this was the best referent I
was able to find:

http://www.cm.nu/~shane/lists/vanlug/2002-03/0396.html

	Seems like there's a Slack package you can install that gives
you socklen_t, according to

http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2001-12/0015.html

Did you do some sort of really minimal install when you first built that
box?  Other googleable links suggest that upgrading your glibc will fix
the issue... but that's a heck of a job.

	For what it's worth, I didn't encounter this on my Slack 8 or my
Slack 9 boxes.

Cheers,
Raven