[Techtalk] Verisign wildcard DNS hijacks .net and .com for advertising purposes

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Sep 16 12:28:56 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

This is more a public service announcement than the start of a
discussion but...

Point your browser at http://dfgdfgsfdgd.net/ or
http://sfhjsjfhkshfjshdfjkhsdfhjsd.net/ or
http://www.fdjlfdjkfdskdsfhjdsfhjdshdsfjkl.com/

Those .net domains aren't registered... but they now point at a Verisign
webpage rather than not resolving. Verisign has decided to use
unregistered domains themselves.

See http://advogato.org/article/707.html for a possible response to
this: change the software to ignore Verisign's stupid DNS hijack.

Feel free to forward this message, but please delete my name and email
address from forwards (since I have nothing to do with the whole mess),
and please don't forward it after the end of September 2003.

-Mary