[Techtalk] SSL and name-based virtual hosting

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Fri Sep 12 16:35:58 EST 2003

I read the following in the documentation for Apache 2.0:

"Name-based virtual hosting cannot be used with SSL secure servers
because of the nature of the SSL protocol."

I'm curious about that statement.  Despite running an SSL-enabled
web server, I know little about SSL.  What is it about the SSL
protocol that is incompatible with name-based virtual hosting?

--
Katie Bechtold         http://katie-and-rob.org/

There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced
by circumstances to meet.
		-- Admiral William Halsey