[Techtalk] RH9, Sendmail, openssl and Eudora

Pete Durst pete at exitcertified.com
Fri Sep 12 08:21:43 EST 2003

Hi,

I have been searching for an answer on this one, and hope that someone on
this list can help out. I support a large number of windows users, and for
the most part the crowd is either using outlook or eudora for their MUA.
No problems with that. I have succeeded in setting up secure pop and
secure imap for the both of these user groups.

The problem I have, is setting up STARTTLS for the Eudora users. I want to
be able to offer secure sending of mail, and for all the fighting I have
done, I can not get Eudora to play nicely with RH9. I have done some
digging, and realize that it's to do with the version of openssl that is
used in this release of RedHat. What I would like to know is, what's the
best way to get these to entities to play with each other, in a secure
way. (I have the auth part setup and eudora is using the CRAM-MD5 method,
but that alone, does not protect the email, just the name/password).

Many thanks in advance.

Pete

Pete Durst

Chief Engineer
Senior Sun Consultant, Sun Certified System Administrator
Sun Certified Network Administrator,  Sun Certified Security Administrator,
LPI Certified Instructor

pete at exitcertified.com  Tel:(613) 232-3948 x224   Fax:(613) 232-3949
85 Albert Street, Suite 1200, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 6A4

   ExitCertified - Excellence in IT Certified Education

Authorized Sun, VERITAS, Guru Linux and Symantec Training Center
 Ottawa ~ Montreal ~ Quebec City ~ Calgary ~ Vancouver
               Sacramento ~ Las Vegas

www.exitcertified.com USA (800) 803-3948 CAN (613) 232-3948