[Techtalk] Re: filtering spam with spamassassin

showercurtain showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 21:03:30 EST 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Carla Schroder wrote:

>For me, setting Spamassassin at 5 has worked very well. It caught a
>few messages from mailing lists, which I then whitelisted, other
than >that there have been no false positives.

Setting it to 5 sounds good, though spamassassin's documentation says
it's "quite aggressive" (whatever that means).  But I've just
realised: Does spamassassin have to be reloaded for that setting to
take effect?

>All other DNSRBLs are free, and superior to MAPS. DNSRBLs are great
>for heading off garbage before it ever hits your servers.

That's basically what my organisation wants to do, although I suspect
some people think that's going to stop spam completely. Why did you
find other rbls better than MAPS?

Another problem is configuring postfix to use an rbl database. Will
this cause any disruptions with sending and receiving mail?

Also, postfix documentation says add lines to main.cf file such as:

maps_rbl_domains = dun.dnsrbl.net
smtpd_client_restrictions = reject_maps_rbl

Suppose I want to use both ordb and dnsrbl - how do I include both of
them in main.cf?

Thanks
Berenice