[Techtalk] Solaris experience?

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 21:32:06 EST 2003

Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Subba Rao wrote:
>

>>I am being interviewed for some jobs where they are asking for Sun Solaris
>>experience.  For a long time I have been a *nix user but did not pay too much
>>attention to the System V vs the BSD camps.  I know Solaris falls into the
>>BSD camp.  How different is it from Linux?  My experience is in System V,
>>AIX and Linux (some HP/UX).  Having this experience, what areas of Solaris
>>should I focus on to get my foot in the door.
>

> Is it an administration type position or a user type position?  If you are
> expected to be familiar with Sun Solaris because you're going to be using
> it, then don't stress at all.  As with all the other *nixes if you've used
> one, you've almost used them all.  Some common tools (like gcc and ar)
> will be in weird places like /opt/ instead of /bin/ but once you've set
> your path you shouldn't have to worry about that.
>
> If the position requires Solaris administration, then I can't comment as
> I've never tried administrating a solaris box.

They aren't too godaweful weird.  We have a few Solaris boxen
lying about the office (at IBM, where I work) and I've never had
problems administering them.  They are a lot harder to administer
than AIX, because AIX has "smit" and "smit" is your friend, but
it's still pretty dull and boring.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.